Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New York


November 7th, 2008

I was in the middle of a my busiest semester so when Sarah asked me if I wanted to go to New York I told maybe but probably not. She asked me again on the last day for sign ups, so I checked my schedule and decided that a break from school would do me well.

We left after a busy day with two bus loads of Guelph students at midnightand arrived at our destination by 11am. We stayed at the central park hostel in an old New York building with the classic metal fire escape covering one side. The 100 some odd students pilled into the tall narrow building, dropped our bags off and hit the streets. We were within a couple blocks of 2 subway lines, central park and just a dozen from Harlem.

Unfortunately that's where my coverage of New York ended in my journal as I must have fallen asleep and not finished it off. Some interesting things about the city though:
- Servers in general are less friendly, all business, less small talk and smiling.
- It's beautiful, central park is gourgeous, so is Columbus square as well as much of the architecture in the city. Most everything except for times square. However unsightly the big advertisements are, it's interesting how people flock there like bugs to a lantern, I'm just glad no one got zapped.
-Harlem is not that scary. We went there for a genuine New York experience and attended a nearby gospel church. There we only 20 of us there, Sarah and I the only white people, and it was a great experience. A good amount of signing, clapping and emotion was part of the 2 hour service and the members were real friendly.

Feel free to ask me for more details, in the meantime, here are a few pictures.















2 comments:

ariah said...

Yeah, Times Square get depressing. At least Bryant Park is around the corner!

Richard said...

Oh, I remember you mentioning that park a while ago too and I forgot to look for it! I saw the beautiful Library at night from 5th ave but didn't look behind it.