Friday, January 30, 2009

3:55 am review

Nov 21st, 08

It’s hard to believe that I’m finally here. Months ago I would look at my calendar and see the 21st box under November and wonder how I would make it there, past all the other boxes in between filled with meetings and due dates, interviews and classes. It’s the busiest I’ve ever been for 3 consecutive months, the toughest semester I’ve ever fought through, just as I expected. I had heard stories about the operations HTM 4190 class and dreaded it before hand. Long gone are the days of a midterm and final. This semester was all class participation, assignments and projects, group projects. The two final projects due earlier this week went fairly smoothly while this Regatta case was more challenging. This group had more work to do and a lower average GPA but it’s all done. It’s been my first semester as a nerd and I’m ready to end it. I liked being busy but school work is not for me, nor are weekends and thanksgiving in the library. Although it could be a little overwhelming at times I think I did a good job of enjoying the breaks in between. It was nice to have track 6 times a week, gave me a rest from academics.

Intramural soccer was entertaining as always; we made the quarterfinals for the second time where I got speared in the box and scored on the related penalty. Ed missed and I hit another in shootouts to win after a 2-2 tie, great team game. When in the semis for the first time ever I managed to get a goal in against the #1 team. Then in the last minute of play I touched it past a couple players and, with Ed waiting off to the side, I wired a shot that curled just above the crossbar as all 22 players, ref and fan (Latham) sighed.

We went first in the shootout, Ed wanting to redeem himself missed unfortunately and I scored the 5th to tie. Debus dove on their last one but only got enough to deflect the ball just behind the post. If only he had cleats, if only Ed had scored, if only I had passed, if only… Probably for the best as both Sarah (who started to enjoy soccer by the end of it) and I would have missed the final for our trip to NY. Unfortunately the telling of that particular glorious story will have to wait till another time. Now I sleep, in the morning I will hand in this 4th year paper, the night after hearing the dreadful 2am library alarm for the first time and tomorrow afternoon at Guelph’s first ever field meet I shall dominate…with God’s strength of course.

No comments: