Saturday, September 27, 2008

University Track Provincials


March 7th, 2008



So polevault is a wonderful sport that I began part way through my first year at university, and it keeps me busy outside school and work. Last year in Calgary I didn't do much of it and I was out for the first part of this season but I came back in time for the last 4 meets before provincials. My best before this year was 4m 36, things started to get exciting a week ago in Toronto though. I cleared 4.12 and 4.27 then missed my first 2 attempts at 4.42. We then borrowed some light carbon pole from U of Toronto for my third attempt and it got me over. For the first attempt at 4.57, my coach gave me the 16 foot pole.( I normally use a 15 footer) A big pole though is like an animal that can sense your fear; you have to run down the runway and plant with confidence or it won't let you into the pit(the mats). So I knew this and did my best but I obviously wasn't very convincing cause I went up and came down right next to the box on the thin part of the mats. So after getting up, shaking it off and trying to convince my coach that I'd be better the second time my coach put me back on the 15 footer, haha. On my third attempt I hit it with my leg but the bar stayed on with the help of my chest on the way down. That jump ranked me 8th in Canada and top 12 go to nationals so I'll be lucky enough to attend my first nationals in Montreal a week from now. Provincials were in Windsor this past weekend and as well as polevault I was entered in pentathlon because there were only 8 people and top 8 win points for their school. I had only been practicing for polevault this year but I had competed in 2 pents in the past 3 years. Somehow I got a personal best in all five events (60m hurdles, long jump, shot put, high jump and 1000m) and a point score that ranked me 11th in the country so I'll give that a shot in Montreal too. I only hope I can repeat that sort of performance back in the motherland.

No comments: