Sunday, October 4, 2009

Europe prologue (July 20th)

-I'm already starting to feel like Tom Hanks in "the Terminal", only the soundtrack that follows me is self-sung and consists mostly of french rock that Ben and I have been introducing to our american camp friends. Last night I grabbed the bus around 9:30 from UBC to the airport. After having my ticket printed I found a nice spot in a corner behind an automated departures ticker on a quiet carpeted second floor. I fell asleep with my head on my backpack and my arm through my hiking bag and slept surprisingly well. At 6 am I repacked, brushed my teeth in the bathroom and walked to the check-in line. The big 7 lane plane took us to Montreal where I had a layover before our departure at 6 pm for Paris. I'm in for a long one, so very glad I decided to fly to europe instead of australia.



-We've flown past my homeland and I'm seeing Newfoundland for the first time. The sun behind us is a vibrant orange and the horizon is spectacular! Layers of bright red, then orange on top, yellow, a thin layer of wispy clouds and then a purple and blue sky. Wow! I'd definitely like to sleep on top of a mountain and enjoy a similar sight one day.



-I just looked over at the screen in front of the empty seat next to me and saw a line between Montreal and Paris and our plane halfway between the dots, this is exciting!



-We're just descending below the clouds now while "fix you" has come on in the Coldplay concert, good timing. Some rays of morning sunlight are piercing the clouds above the sea of roundabouts, this trip is going to be interesting.

No comments: